Health libraryBack to health library
Tips for avoiding basketball injuries
Following some safety rules can keep your games pain-free.
Basketball is a great form of exercise. But it's also a common cause of injury.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers the following tips for avoiding basketball injuries:
- Take time to warm up and stretch before you begin a game.
- Use shoes that fit snugly, offer support and have soles that prevent skidding.
- Wear knee and elbow pads.
- Use a mouth guard.
- Use safety glass or glass guards to protect prescription glasses.
- Take off any jewelry, and discard any gum.
- Keep the courts free of debris and other hazards.
- If outdoors, avoid playing in extreme weather.
- Make sure the court boundaries are not too close to structures such as walls and bleachers and that goal posts and the walls behind them are padded.
- Know how to contact medical personnel in case of an emergency.