Our Neonatal Intensive Care (NICU) specializes in caring for babies who need a higher level of care. We care for babies 34-weeks and greater and provide oxygen delivery, phototherapy for jaundice treatment, IV therapy including antibiotics, monitoring and treatment of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome, and hypoglycemia or low blood sugar. Included in the Neonatal Team, we have Neonatal Nurse Practitioners at The Birthing Center 24/7 who collaborate with a Children’s Mercy Neonatologist to provide the best possible care for your baby.
And because we understand how important it is for mom and baby to stay together, especially if they are breastfeeding, Liberty Hospital is the only program in the Kansas City area that offers a free boarding program. When the mom is discharged before her baby, she can stay on the unit free of charge as long as space is available. If space if not available, The Birthing Center will make arrangements for her to stay on campus in The TreeHouse.
Your Neonatal Team comprises:
- Lactation Registered Nurse.
- Neonatal Nurse Practitioner.
- NICU Registered Nurse.
- Respiratory Therapist.
- Social Worker.
- Visitors must be over 18.
- All visitors must be free of illness.
- Visitors may visit the NICU with a caregiver who is wearing ID band.
- Maximum of 2 persons at the bedside.
- A visitation consent will be filled out when baby is admitted to the NICU.
- Handwashing/hand hygiene are important for your baby's health and for illness prevention.