Breast Care Center
Skipped a mammogram? Now is the time to get back on track.
The earlier breast cancer is detected, the better the outcome. That's why the Breast Care Center at Liberty Hospital provides comprehensive and compassionate breast care close to home. Women who come for a routine mammogram will enjoy the comfortable and calming environment, and women who require additional screening or treatment can access leading-edge care conveniently in one place.
Our specialty-trained breast radiologists use advanced imaging technologies to ensure accurate diagnosis and early stage detection. When you need more, our highly-specialized team cares for complex and high-risk breast care patients.
Our dedicated staff ensures a caring and personalized experience. We are easy to find, and parking is free.
Watch this FOX 4 News story about the Breast Care Center
We take care of you whether you need a routine mammogram or more.
- Routine screening mammograms
- Diagnostic imaging
- MRI, ultrasound and 3D mammography
- High-risk breast care
- Genetic counseling
- Breast surgery and reconstruction
- One-on-one support
- Second opinions
- Same-day results
Additional services include:
- Mammographic, ultrasound and MRI-guided wire-free localizations
- MRI-guided breast biopsy
- Stereotactic breast biopsy
- Ultrasound-guided biopsy
- Bone density screening
We use state-of-the-art imaging technology.
The Breast Care Center offers the advanced technology found only at a hospital. We know early cancer diagnosis and treatment saves lives, so using state-of-the-art imaging is our priority. Currently, we are the only breast care center in Kansas City to use artificial intelligence for mammograms and ultrasounds that references more than 450k examples to help better diagnose breast cancers early.
We are an accredited breast care center.
- 3-D mammograms provide the best opportunity to catch breast cancer at its earliest stage when treatment is most effective.
- Studies show an increase in breast cancer detection rates with 3-D mammography, especially for women with dense breast tissue.
- The radiologist views breast tissue images in 1-millimeter slices, looking very carefully for anything that might require further testing.
- 3-D mammograms reduce the need to call patients back for additional views to evaluate suspicious areas seen on an initial exam.
Amy Patel, M.D., a fellowship-trained breast radiologist, interprets the majority of mammograms at Women's Imaging. She is part of a team from Alliance Radiology who provides this service.
If further testing is needed, we also can perform the following tests:
- Diagnostic mammogram (requires a doctor's order).
- Diagnostic ultrasound.
- Mammographic, ultrasound and MRI-guided wire localizations.
- MRI-guided breast biopsy.
- Stereotactic breast biopsy.
- Ultrasound-guided biopsy.
- 3-D guided mammography biopsy.
If you started your breast care journey at another facility, our fellowship-trained breast radiologist, Dr. Amy Patel, is available to review your imaging and provide a second opinion. Just tell your doctor you want a second opinion, and your doctor will request a formal consult.
Ashley Mayes, BSN, RN, OCN, Nurse Navigator, is available to:
- Assist all newly diagnosed breast cancer patients and acts as a consistent resource to patients and their families.
- Serve as patient educator and advocate, guiding patients and their families through the cancer diagnosis and treatment process.
- Facilitate rapid scheduling and care coordination for further testing and follow-up after breast cancer is diagnosed.
- Coordinate a multidisciplinary conference where patients' cases are reviewed by specialists to discuss treatment options.
In addition to the exceptional service offered at Liberty Hospital Women's Imaging, the following resources may be helpful:
- Mammography Saves Lives.
- End the Confusion (surrounding when and how often a woman should get a mammogram).
- American Cancer Society.
- National Breast Cancer Foundation.
- American Breast Cancer Foundation.
- Back in the Swing.
- Gilda's Club Kansas City.
Ivy League-trained breast care specialists lead our program.
Our specialized breast care team provides the highest level of expertise all in one location.
- Dr. Amy Patel is a fellowship-trained breast radiologist who completed a breast/mammography fellowship at Washington University in St. Louis and worked on staff at Harvard University in Boston. In 2021 the American College of Radiology named her a “Changemaker” and “trailblazer.”
- Dr. Ashley Altman is a fellowship-trained breast radiologist who completed a fellowship in breast imaging at Northwestern University in Chicago and a fellowship in interventional radiology at University of California at San Diego. She also completed a residency in diagnostic radiology at University of Chicago Medicine.
- Dr. Colton McNichols is a fellowship-trained plastic surgeon at The Cosmetic and Plastic Surgery Clinic at Liberty Hospital. He graduated from Rush Medical School in Chicago, IL, and completed a residency at The Johns Hopkins Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, where he served as Administrative Chief Resident.
Learn more about breast reconstructive surgery
- Dr. Elizabeth Butler is a fellowship-trained breast surgeon at Saint Luke’s Cancer Institute. She joined after completing a fellowship in breast disease at Brown University and general surgery residency at University of New England, where she served as Chief Resident.