Liberty Hospital has a full-service gastroenterology lab, including three private GI rooms, eight patient areas and one minor surgery room. Our staff is trained and credentialed in conscious sedation, an anesthetic technique that minimizes pain and discomfort through the use of pain relievers and sedatives. Liberty Hospital also has registered certified gastroenterology nurses who assist the physicians.
Our full range of GI services includes:
- Colonoscopy: This procedure allows the gastroenterologist to look inside the entire large intestine to view inflamed tissue, abnormal growths and ulcers.
- Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD): This test involves inserting a small, flexible camera down the throat to examine the esophagus, stomach and lining of the throat. The procedure is used to investigate swallowing difficulties, nausea, vomiting, reflux, bleeding, indigestion, abdominal pain or chest pain.
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP): ERCP is used primarily to diagnose and treat conditions of the bile ducts, including gallstones, inflammatory strictures (scars), leaks (from trauma and surgery) and cancer.
- Minor surgeries.
- Excision of cysts or nodules.
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy: This test enables the physician to look at the inside of the large intestine from the rectum through the last part of the colon, called the sigmoid or descending colon.
- Enteroscopy: This test involves a long, flexible lighted tube to examine the small intestine.
- Percutaneous insertion of gastrostomy feeding tube: This procedure involves the placement of a feeding tube through the skin and the stomach wall, directly into the stomach.