Neurosurgeries new to the Northland
Michael Rhee, M.D., and Tracy Wheeler, MSN, AGACNP-BC, not only bring a team approach to neurosurgery at Liberty Hospital, but they offer surgical procedures previously not available to Northland area residents.
"Patients literally have been traveling hours away to get some of the procedures we can now perform right here," Tracy said.
Dr. Rhee agreed and added, "The hospital has made a significant investment in the technology we need to perform a wide range of minimally invasive spine and cranial surgeries. There is no need to leave the Northland."
He performs these new techniques through much smaller incisions using high-powered microscopes, state-of-the-art intraoperative imaging equipment and stereotactic navigation. This technology helps Dr. Rhee see the patient's anatomy in real time, guiding him to the problem spot.
"The precision with which we perform these surgeries results in less pain and a much quicker recovery for our patients," Dr. Rhee said.
Dr. Rhee's professional interests include:
- Minimally invasive spine surgery.
- Traumatic/complex spine surgery.
- Oblique lumbar interbody fusion (OLIF).
- Cervical disc arthroplasty.
- Central nervous system tumors.
- Brain (intracranial) tumors.
- Peripheral nerve surgery.
- Neurotrauma and neurocritical care.