Health libraryBack to health library
Terrific turkey meatloaf
Makes 8 servings.
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, trimmed and chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
6 tablespoons fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon tomato paste
2 pounds ground turkey (mix of dark and light meat)
3/4 cup breadcrumbs
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup ketchup
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In skillet, sauté onions and mushrooms in oil. Add thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add Worcestershire, broth and tomato paste and mix thoroughly.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine turkey, breadcrumbs, eggs and onion-mushroom mixture.
- Mix well and shape into a rectangular loaf in shallow baking dish. Brush ketchup on top.
- Bake 90 minutes or until meat is cooked through and internal temperature is 165 degrees.
- Serve hot. Leftovers may be served cold in sandwiches.
Serving size: 1/8 of recipe. Amount per serving: 260 calories, 12g total fat (3g saturated fat), 13g carbohydrates, 26g protein, 0g dietary fiber, 270mg sodium.